Park Avenue Synagogue
About Park Avenue Synagogue
Park Avenue Synagogue (PAS) is one of the largest Conservative congregations in North America. Located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, the synagogue includes staff of more than 160 talented individuals, who together with our world-class clergy team, serve a membership of over 1,700 households. Our thriving Adult Programming, Early Childhood Center, Congregational School, Youth, and Young Family Education departments provide high quality and inclusive Jewish educational, social, and worship opportunities to our members and the community at large. Even more exciting, PAS is currently engaged in an exciting 3-phased expansion and renovation program, including the purchase of a new building and complete renovation of our existing facility.
About the Ritual Administrative Coordinator Role
PAS seeks a highly organized individual to serve as full-time Ritual Coordinator. This Jewishly skilled, enthusiastic and detail-oriented individual will report to the Cantor and liaise with clergy and synagogue departments to coordinate the synagogue’s ritual and pastoral functions. In addition, the Ritual Coordinator will partner with the Head Usher to handoff Shabbat and holiday ritual needs from administration to implementation. The successful candidate will need to be well versed in the way daily minyan, Shabbat, Festival and High Holiday services are conducted and be knowledgeable regarding the maintenance and use of ritual items including Torahs, siddurim and chumashim.
Role Responsibilities Include:
● Oversee clergy rotation, coverage for services and life cycle events.
● Maintain the shared clergy calendar.
● Submit calendar/space requests and set-ups for services and lifecycle events.
● Coordinate with Communications Department regarding promotion for services and lifecycle events.
● Schedule and maintain a database of lay and/or professional Torah readers.
● Oversee ritual objects and repairs, prepare Torah scrolls for Torah readings, and maintain inventory of ritual items.
● Schedule officers for gabbai rotation.
● Prepare weekly aliyah grid, coordinate honors for Shabbat and Festivals, prepare and send honor and yahrzeit letters.
● Maintain misheberach and yahrtzeit lists.
● Prepare and send bereavement notice emails.
● Ensure bimah materials are prepared and positioned in advance of services.
● Recruit and schedule Shabbat greeter volunteers to assist Head Usher.
● Liaise with the Head Usher prior to services for “hand off” regarding aliyahs, honors, volunteer greeter details and ritual items.
● Coordinate delivery of shiva platters and other shiva related ritual items.
● Attend High Holiday planning meetings and overseeing High Holiday ritual items and various aspects of lay participation.
● Provide support to administrative staff regarding Jewish calendar and ritual objects
● Bachelor’s degree required
● Significant Judaic ritual knowledge (including rolling of Torah scrolls) required
● Exceptional organizational and project management skills
● Strong communication skills
● Forward-thinking, proactive, and a fast learner
● Fluent in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher and PowerPoint; knowledge of iContact, and Salesforce are a plus
● Ability to oversee multiple tasks and work under pressure in a busy environment
● A positive demeanor, cordial “can-do” attitude, and mature sense of professionalism.
Please send a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org