Hazon is the Jewish lab for sustainability. We’re the largest dedicated environmental organization in the American Jewish community. In aggregate we’re seeking to shift the nature of what it means to be Jewish in the 21st century – enabling and encouraging Jewish people to have an impact in the world and transforming Jewish life in the process. We are based in New York City and the Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in Falls Village CT. We also have offices in Denver, Boulder, and Detroit.
Hazon is seeking a Teva Director who will work at the Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center (at least during Fall and Spring programs). The Teva Director works with an Education Coordinator, Lead Educator, National Programs Coordinator and a seasonal team of educators to provide experiential ecological education through a Jewish framework for youth ages 2-18. This includes school programming for middle and high school students and retreat programming for families.
For the past 25 years, Teva has worked to fundamentally transform Jewish education through experiential learning that fosters Jewish and ecological and food sustainability.
- Working with the Teva Leadership Team (the Education Coordinator and Lead Educator) to ensure success and continued growth and development of the flagship Jewish experiential education program, Teva, including a clear vision for the future
- Managing Seasonal Educators and Medic in the Fall and Spring
- Supervising Education Coordinator and Lead Educator
- Recruiting and hiring seasonal staff with the Leadership Team
- Training educators with the Leadership Team
- Providing direction and feedback to staff and cultivating a team dynamic that is efficient, fun, and rooted in nature and Jewish connections
- Creating and managing annual budget and goals
- Recruiting new schools
- Managing Friends Of Teva, Teva’s advisory council
- Working with Teva’s Education Coordinator in school communications
- Working with chaperones during residential school programs
- Working with the National Programs Coordinator on Teva development and outreach
- Developing new programs to
- Create summer revenue, and
- Develop curriculum
- Supporting the infusion of Teva and JOFEE education through the Isabella Freedman Retreat Center, including Camp Teva and retreats
- Supporting the continued growth of Teva and Hazon to build a healthier and more sustainable world
- Experience in experiential education, staff supervision, program management
- Desire to work with children and young adults
- Desire to live in community
- Ability to manage a very full and busy fall and spring program time with lighter winter and summer seasons
- Skills to manage community of educators: meeting and group process facilitation, Non-Violent Communication, etc.
- Outstanding relationship-building skills and professional boundaries
- Strong Hebrew skills and Jewish background preferred
- Detail oriented with ability to organize others, oversee multiple details and logistics and communicate clearly and calmly
- Excellent time management skills for both short-term and long-term planning
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with excel
- Ability to manage people and cultivate engagement with 12 educators, 130 6th graders and a dozen chaperones and limited indoor space in the cold rain!
To Apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org