Website Nativ College Leadership Program
Department: Teen Engagement
Reports to: Senior Director of Teen Engagement
Nativ is the Conservative Movement’s College Leadership Program in Israel and has provided an unparalleled Gap Year experience in Israel for forty years, with over 2000 alumni worldwide. Nativ is dedicated to creating and inspiring the Conservative Jewish leaders of tomorrow. Nativ, which means “path” in Hebrew, provides a unique opportunity to explore new directions on the journey to becoming a Jewish adult. By focusing on Jewish living, leadership development, and Israel exploration, Nativ infuses living in Israel with Jewish life and spirit.
From September through May, Nativ participants are immersed in the rich and diverse society of Israel, exploring the land and enjoying a fulfilling Conservative Jewish lifestyle. Students study in the Fall Semester at Hebrew University, the Conservative Yeshiva, or Ulpan. In the Spring Semester, they live and volunteer in different communities in Israel, including Tiberias, Yemin Orde, and Karmiel.
Nativ is the culminating experience of USY’s immersive programs and each year there are significant numbers of USYers who are part of the program. Additionally, Nativ is proud to consistently attract significant young adults who came from public schools, Ramah camps, Solomon Schechter day schools, and Orthodox day schools.
The Nativ Director manages the entire Nativ program, including recruitment, programming, budget, staff supervision and hiring, risk management and health and wellness issues, as well as serves as the lead interface between the program and the USCJ office in New York City.
The director is both the program director and senior educator, managing the program itself while serving as a Jewish role model for participants and staff. This requires a director who is knowledgeable about Conservative Judaism and dedicated to educating the next generation of Jewish leadership.
Based in Jerusalem, the Nativ Director reports to the Senior Director of USY to set the strategy and implement the goals of Nativ, and serves as a member of USY’s Senior Staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the daily operation of the Nativ Program including programming, health and safety, disciplinary issues, staff supervision, fundraising, food service, hospitality, and recruitment
- Supervise full-time Nativ program staff and Nativ madrikhim to be hired on a yearly basis
- Implement human resource management practices to recruit and retain seasonal and year-round staff
- Evaluate the Nativ Program to ensure the Nativ Program meets the needs and interests of youth and the target market for purposes of annual recruitment
- Serve as main contact with Nativ’s key organizational partners in Israel, including the Hebrew University, the Conservative Yeshiva, second semester volunteer organizations, and The Israel Experience, Nativ’s land provider in Israel
- Develop and implement schedules in partnership with the staff of the Fuchsberg Center for Conservative Judaism, the location of Nativ’s offices and the hostel where Nativers live the first half of the program
- Prepare financial reports as needed and oversee the financial management and fundraising to allow for adequate annual funding to meet long term goals
- Deliver a solid, well rounded program to participants, including communications and marketing directed toward potential Nativ participants, their parents, rabbis, college counselors, camp directors, and a variety of other constituencies
- Ensure that program staff and participants know and follow health and safety procedures during programs
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in all program areas in partnership with staff at the program’s youth hostel in Jerusalem and second semester locations
At least 4 direct reports, including year round staff for Nativ and program staff hired on a yearly basis. Exact numbers vary from year-to-year.
Recommended Education and Experience:
- Advanced Degree strongly preferred, preferably in Jewish Communal Service or Jewish Education
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science required
- Hebrew Fluency (i.e. reading, writing, and speaking)
- Dual citizenship for Israel and the United States or Canada is preferred, but not required
- 8-10 years or more relevant experience Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Experience developing survey data using quantitative and qualitative data; ability to immediately transition to SurveyMonkey strongly preferred
- Commitment to ongoing professional development for oneself and the staff he/she/they supervises
- Project management skills, particularly involving multiple departments and overlapping constituencies
- Knowledge of CRM systems and customer service platforms
Work Environment: Fuchsberg Jerusalem Center for Conservative Judaism, Jerusalem, Israel
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
- Full-time position
- A number of evenings and weekends are required, depending on the needs of the program
Travel required, including several visits to North America each year to recruit participants and staff, as well as connect with alumni and participate in fundraising opportunities. The position also requires travel within Israel and parts of Europe and Asia, depending on the needs of the program.
Although Nativ is run by USY and USCJ, both of which are based in the United States, officially the Nativ Director will be an employee of the Amuta of the Fuchsberg Center for Conservative Judaism. authorization and procedures to be aligned with Israeli employment law.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com