Temple Beth Israel, Port Washington, New York
Temple Beth Israel is an egalitarian Conservative synagogue of 260 member families now in our 85th year. There are approximately 120 students involved in our school program.
We are seeking a leader who will play an integral role in the synagogue’s continued evolution and growth. In this role, our Director of Education and Engagement will be responsible for creating meaningful Jewish experiences for all youth and families in the synagogue’s community.
This position is ideal for a creative educational leader with great enthusiasm about the possibilities of developing and implementing innovative congregational education. We prize initiative, imagination, and the courage to experiment. We require great excitement about working with children, a passionate love of Jewish learning and living, the state of Israel, and experience in leadership and administration. We seek a leader who is committed and ready to work as a team- member with lay leaders and other professionals. This leader will have excellent organizational, communication, management and technological skills.
Minimum credentials: Masters in Jewish Education or equivalent is preferred; teaching and administrative experience is beneficial.
Education and Youth Engagement K-12
The goal in this area is to establish a warm, welcoming, safe and inclusive program and a culture of learning and living Judaism.
- Collaborate with teachers to ensure dynamic lessons that are engaging.
- Promote an environment where students and families are encouraged to build lasting and meaningful relationships with faculty and each other.
- Facilitate in-service training for Faculty to ensure we have a 21st century program.
- Attend and take an active role at meetings including: internal professional staff meetings; education committee meetings; and any other meetings as are appropriate to effectively carrying out responsibilities both within the Congregation and the Jewish educational community. To ensure we are current with best practices and collaborating in the greater Jewish World, we will expect the Director to actively engage with other leaders and professional associations as deemed necessary.
- Maintain communication using weekly school e-blast, weekly temple e-blast, and the monthly synagogue bulletin.
- Coordinate with the clergy to plan programs and experiences so that bar/bat mitzvah families engage with each part of the team. (Rabbi, Cantor and Director.)
- Manage and supervise youth group leader and help provide social experiences for children within our community.
- Develop, coordinate, participate and staff programs for high school students including Hebrew High School.
- Administrative responsibilities for the Congregation’s school program
- Maintain an accessible calendar of events
- Record keeping
- Teacher supervision and training
- Curriculum alignment and innovation
- Home-school communication
- Reporting of student progress
- Providing the resources needed for quality education h. Managing the school budget
- Providing for the supplies needed to run the school and its programming
Education and Congregational Engagement
The goal in this area is to integrate school programs into the larger synagogue community and to cultivate engagement throughout our community at all levels.
- Build and maintain relationships with families in order to strengthen our TBI community and deepen connections each family has with their own spiritual practices.
- Coordinate, foster and build synergy for our families between the school program and Tefillah; recognizing both as learning opportunities for youth and families. The aim is to foster a greater level of youth and family participation.
- Collaborate with leadership team and clergy to enhance the Congregation’s family education program including congregational events, trips and projects.
- Design and implement Holiday programming for children and families.
- Coordinate with the Preschool leadership team to encourage and inspire families with young children to continue their Jewish education in our school program and to join the Congregation.
- Plan programs to include all families in the Congregation, both supplementary and day school.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org