Congregation Or Tzion/USCJ
Congregation Or Tzion and the Far West Region of USY offer a Unique Joint Full-Time Position in Scottsdale, AZ
Congregation Or Tzion is offering a Youth Director position in one of the most dynamic Kehillot in the country, and the Far West Region is offering a USY/Kadima Field Engagement Associate position in one of USY’s most vital regions!
I. Position Purpose, Responsibilities, & Travel
Congregation Or Tzion Youth Director
Congregation Or Tzion is a 425 family Conservative congregation in Scottsdale, Arizona seeking a part-time USY/Kadima Youth Director to plan programming for 4th – 12th graders. This individual will have the support of the synagogue staff and lay leadership and work closely with the Parent Youth Commission.
• Plan activities that are age appropriate and consistent with Conservative Jewish values
• Plan a balanced calendar of activities that consist of educational, religious, social action and social content (approx. 2 events per month, per youth group – Kadima, Jr. USY, Sr. USY)
• Integrate programming coordinated with the synagogue calendar
• Establish a strong sense of Tikkun Olam
• Develop long range plans for youth groups
• Handle administrative duties of Youth Department, including budgeting for events and fiscal year
• Timely publication and marketing for upcoming events
• Projected timeline of each event with sign in and sign out logs and forms as needed
• Interview candidates for event staffing opportunities as needed
• Recruit new members for the youth program and retain current enrollees
• Serve as a role model to synagogue youth, by emphasizing the importance of Judaism and Jewish values in your life
• Develop future leaders by fostering teamwork, collaboration and strong relationships
• Collaborate with other youth groups in the area
• Attend all Youth Commission meetings
• Assist with broader synagogue programming and special events
Supervise advisors, volunteers, and event staff as needed
Must be willing to travel out-of-state to regional and international programs.
USY/Kadima Field Engagement Associate, Far West (Scottsdale, AZ)
The Far West region of USY seeks a part-time Field Engagement Associate to support teen engagement in the greater Phoenix area. The Field Engagement Associate will work with the Regional Engagement Director to deliver USY programs and training throughout their communities, with an aim at increasing the numbers of engaged Jewish teens. The Field Engagement Associate will have responsibilities supporting Regional programming before and at each event.
1. The duties of the Field Engagement Associate include but are not limited to the following:
• Community outreach on behalf of USY
• Organizer and supporter of local USY/Kadima advisors and chapter directors
• Representing USY on local teen engagement committees (i.e. Federation, JCC, etc.)
• Work with local kehillot to strengthen their youth programs
• Recruitment for USY/Kadima in community Hebrew high school and day schools
• Visiting teens at local high schools in partnership with JSU or independently
2. Support of regional activities:
• Staffing USY International Convention in December
• Arrange and lead multi-chapter, citywide events on behalf of the region
• Staffing regional conventions, encampments, day programs, etc
• Support recruitment efforts for International USY programs (summer experiences and International Convention)
• Assist Regional Engagement Director with planning and execution of Regional conventions and events
3. Additional opportunities can include (depending on skill set of candidates):
• Work with the Regional USY Executive board in areas of leadership training and development
• Staffing USY summer programs
• Alumni outreach
• Supporting regional communications (newsletters, social media, website)
• Developing educational materials and trainings
4. Represent USY, USCJ, and Conservative Movement in the community
No supervisory responsibility
Must be willing to travel on regular basis to visit affiliated congregations in region. This includes evening and weekend responsibilities as determined and agreed upon by lay and professional supervisors.
II. Position Hours, Location, & Physical Demands
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Location
This is a joint full-time position, 40 hours/week, including some evening and weekend hours. All hours are to be worked at Congregation Or Tzion, with the exception of travel for programs, meetings, and outreach.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
III. Desired Candidate Background
Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Proven ability to work with 4th-12th graders
• Demonstrated knowledge of youth programming and Judaism
• Experience in leading youth groups and programs in a non-profit organization or any equivalent
• Strong organizational, communication, leadership, and computer skills
• Demonstrated ability to work with parents, staff and community leaders
• First Aid, CPR Certification or receive within 30 days of employment
IV. Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary and allowance for health benefits offered.
• All employment subject to background check
• Must have authorization to work in the USA
• This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this job please visit jewishjobs.com.