Website Camp Ramah in California
Position: Camper Care Associate (Part-Time)
Organization: Camp Ramah in California
Location: Los Angeles, CA (September – May); Ojai, CA (June – August) Reports to: Director of Camper Care and Staff Wellness
Camp Ramah in California’s Camper Care Associate is a new position that will add to our culture of high- level care of campers, parents, and staff at our camp. This role will share responsibility for many aspects of community care including new camper intakes, onboarding of new camper families, communication with returning families during the year to gather new information and create plans for success, adding a child development lens to team conversations about new programming, developing age-specific training for our staff, assembling and training our summer camper care team, and supporting our youth safeguarding practices.
This position will be supervised by our Director of Camper Care and Staff Wellness and will be part of our Summer Camp team, working alongside our Assistant Director and Program Coordinators and our Tikvah Director. Over the summer this individual will serve as a Yoetzet (parent liaison) for one edah (age group).
We are seeking a passionate, collaborative professional with a background in mental health and/or inclusion work as well as a commitment to building the type of year-round and lifelong interpersonal relationships and holistic Jewish community that are fundamental to Camp Ramah in California’s work.
Primary Job Responsibilities Include:
- Outreach to new and existing families
- Shared oversight of enrollment processes and forms
- Development of staff training curriculum and materials in partnership with Camper Care team
- Participate in MESSH (mental, emotional, social, and spiritual health) and other related wellness efforts for entire camp population.
- Shared responsibility for camper recruitment and retention; summer staff recruitment and hiring; planning of summer program.
Required and/or Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Passion and excitement about Jewish summer camping
- Academic degree in social work, psychology, special education, or related field. (Masters preferred.)
- 3+ years of experience in mental health, inclusion/special needs, Jewish education, and/or summer camp leadership.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to build trusting and lasting relationships with campers, camper parents, staff, professional colleagues, lay leaders, and other partners.
- Knowledge of Jewish culture, history, and values. Familiarity with Hebrew is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- During the year: Occasional travel as well as occasional work on nights and weekends.
- During the summer: Residency of approximately 10 weeks at Ramah’s campus in Ojai, CA.
This position is part time from fall through spring (15 hours/week) and full time in the summer. Compensation is $30-$45/hour from fall through spring, commensurate with experience, and $9,000-
$12,000 for the summer.
Our Mission and Vision:
We dream of a more just world with many generations of proud, educated, and reflective Jews, deeply committed to their communities and the pursuit of vibrant Jewish life.
Camp Ramah in California creates lifelong relationships through joyful, welcoming, and immersive Jewish experiences rooted in Torah, Avodah, and Gemilut Hasadim.* Ramah is committed to the future of the Jewish community and betterment of the world.
- Torah – We cultivate a passion for lifelong Jewish learning and a commitment to our heritage and the wisdom of our people.
- Avodah – We create opportunities for joyful prayer and positive engagement in the richness of our rituals and mitzvot.
- Gemilut hasadim – We take active responsibility for each other and the world.
Camp Ramah is an American Camp Association accredited, coeducational, residential summer camp affiliated with the Conservative Movement and National Ramah Commission and operates under the educational auspices of the Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies at American Jewish University.
Camp Ramah in California is headquartered in Encino, CA where we have our administrative office and on over 400 acres in Ojai, CA, where our residential summer camp has operated for nearly seventy years. We maintain a hybrid office schedule. Please note that being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Aviva Levine-Jacobs, Director of Camper Care and Staff Wellness ([email protected]). Ramah is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org