Camp Ramah in California Founding Day Camp Director
Website Camp Ramah in California
We are looking for the first ever Camp Ramah in California Day Camp Director. The ideal candidate is someone who can combine tradition, innovation, and education to inspire the next generation of Camp Ramah campers.
Your mission will be to help children develop their social, emotional, and physical skills within the context of a caring Jewish community.
Together with senior staff and lay leaders, you will prepare multi-year business, development, and marketing plans for the Ramah Day Camp, including identifying key target demographics both from within the Ramah community and from without who have been historically underserved by Jewish day camping within our catchment area.
You will build a day camp program (to be piloted in summer 2024) informed by the overnight camp’s industry-leading model: a range of programmatic choices, intentional Jewish learning and practice, Jewish arts, sports, and special programming such as Maccabiah (color wars), Yom Yisrael (Israel Day), and special performances. Camp Ramah is committed to including Tikvah (special needs) campers from the first summer, and to engaging siblings, parents, and grandparents in meaningful ways.
In addition to the summer, you will oversee camp experiences throughout the year. You will plan and attend recruitment, retention, and family programs and events around Los Angeles, and will hire and train counselors and specialists, including a delegation from Israel (mishlachat) for the summer program. Some weekends and evenings will be required for community engagement and promotional events.
The Ideal Candidate
- A self-starter, you are reliable and can manage multiple, conflicting priorities.
- You are a savvy leader, able to thoughtfully manage and inspire your staff.
- You are someone who feels comfortable monitoring the physical, mental, and emotional health and safety of all campers, staff, and guests.
- You can successfully communicate with parents, community partners, and other outside liaisons.
- You are a champion of diversity, equity, and inclusion among campers and staff, particularly with respect to Jewish background, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ability, and socioeconomic status.
- High-energy, patience, and genuine passion for working with children is a must.
- You are invested in ensuring each camper and staff member experiences a Journey for a Lifetime!
Required qualifications and experience
- Strong connections in the Jewish community, and ability to work with a highly skilled team of camp professionals and lay leaders.
- Experience recruiting campers and excitement about creating strong relationships with parents and other caregivers.
- Experience recruiting, supervising, and training staff and volunteers.
- Experience creating and implementing developmentally appropriate and engaging child-centered programming.
- Eagerness to participate in fundraising, including donor prospecting and stewardship, and grant reporting
- Respect for all children and their abilities.
- Knowledge of Jewish culture, history, values, and some Hebrew language vocabulary.
- Experience modelling program participation and appropriate interaction with children.
- Ability to develop and manage a budget.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organization, and personal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Basic fluency in Microsoft Office, social media platforms, marketing platforms (e.g. Constant Contact, Canva), database management platforms (e.g. CampMinder) or ability to learn.
Preferred qualifications and experience
- Minimum five years’ experience working with children full time in a summer camp or elementary school setting.
- A masters degree in Education, Judaic Studies, Social Work, or other related field. (Bachelor’s degree required)
Camp Ramah in California offers a competitive and comprehensive compensation package, including: 403b, group health coverage, life insurance and LTD, as well as sick and vacation time. Salary is $95,000-$125,000 commensurate with experience.
Our default assumption is that this position will be full time (exempt), but we are open to exploring alternative arrangements for the right person.
Our inaugural day camp will be located in Los Angeles, CA. Apart from the summer camp season, we maintain a hybrid workplace.
Camp Ramah in California is headquartered in Encino, CA where we have our administrative office, and on over 400 acres in Ojai, CA, where our residential summer camp has operated for nearly seventy years. Please note that being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
We dream of a more just world with many generations of proud, educated, and reflective Jews, deeply committed to their communities and the pursuit of vibrant Jewish life.
Camp Ramah in California creates lifelong relationships through joyful, welcoming, and immersive Jewish experiences rooted in Torah, Avodah and Gemilut Hasadim.* Ramah is committed to the future of the Jewish community and betterment of the world.
Torah – We cultivate a passion for lifelong Jewish learning and a commitment to our heritage and the wisdom of our people.
Avodah – We create opportunities for joyful prayer and positive engagement in the richness of our rituals and mitzvot.
Gemilut hasadim – We take active responsibility for each other and the world.
Camp Ramah in California is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability.
To apply for this job email your details to DayCamp@ramah.org