Website Ramah in the Rockies
Position Purpose: Ramah in the Rockies (RR) is looking to hire a full-time Camp Life Director (CLD) to oversee camper recruitment and year round engagement. The CLD will work closely with the camp leadership team: to hire, supervise, and support staff; to engage young adult alumni; to oversee the camp’s summer program; and to work closely with the board and staff to grow and improve the camp. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal, organizational, and pedagogical skills as well as significant camp experience.
Year-round Responsibilities (September through May)
Cultivate Young Leaders & Potential Staff:
- Work in partnership with Executive Director to seek out, interview, hire, train, and support Ramah summer staff
- Oversee leadership development opportunities for staff and alumni after the camp season
- Plan and implement pre-summer staff training opportunities
Camper Recruitment and Retention
- Oversee camper and staff retention, including soliciting all families and staff for post-summer feedback
- Meet with potential campers and their families at online information sessions, over the phone and at Colorado based communal events
- Create, implement and track recruitment plan for campers based on existing models and trends used by camp. Implement new ideas as needed
- Contact families for follow-up conversations
- Be a liaison between camper families and other year round support staff
- Represent Ramah in the Rockies at local Colorado recruitment events
- Maintain metrics for recruitment and engagement work
- Coordinate social media and other publicity around recruitment events and other Ramah happenings in the community. Engage outside help as needed
- Oversee development of curriculum and other programmatic initiatives for the summer, along with the Executive Director and the Program Manager
Plan Camp Wellness
- Review all camper applications, noting which campers need additional followup. Oversee pre-camp follow up and planning
- Plan and implement the pre-camp orientations for camper families.
- Work with parents and home-professionals to create individualized plans for campers who will need additional assistance to succeed at Ramah in the Rockies.
Summer Responsibilities (June through August)
- Implement overall camp program and new camp initiatives in partnership with Executive Director, Hanhallah (senior staff), and other staff
- Promote a positive environment that fosters fun, safety, and our camp’s values
- Oversee the camp wellness program
- Develop the staff training curriculum, including overseeing the staff week program.
- Have a strong and motivating presence – get out of the office, proactively get to know campers and staff, monitor and direct appropriate behavior in camp activities, and be a part of camp!
- Problem solve issues in the operation of camp activities, equipment, and/or programs as they arise
- Communicate and coordinate with parents – including both positive feedback and issues as they arise
- Be a Jewish role model for camp – teach, mentor, deliver divrei Torah, as fitting
- Run meetings and ongoing training workshops for counselors and other groups of staff in partnership with other senior staff
- Evaluate summer program, suggest and implement changes in partnership with year-round team
- Perform any other reasonable duties as directed by the Executive Director for the successful operation of the camp
- CLD will report to the Executive Director
- CLD will directly supervise the year round program manager and a few part time employees/ contractors
- CLD will have multiple reports during the summer season, most notably, the Director for Camp Wellness
- Experience in administrative roles in camp and other settings; excellent management skills
- Experience in the development and delivery of programs and activities for similar population
- Outstanding ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Integrity, patience, adaptability, sense of humor, enthusiasm, and a commitment to serve Jewish youth
- Ability to train, motivate, support, share insights & ideas with, and supervise staff
Physical Aspects of the Position:
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff
- Ability to observe camper/staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has an MSW (or equivalent), is passionate about working with youth, and excited to be a Jewish educator
- Has at least (5) years of work experience including at least (2) years of managing a team of people
- Is a Colorado resident, or willing to relocate to Colorado by September 2021.
- Must have the ability to be in-residence at camp from ~June 1-~August 15 during the summer
- Available to start full-time by April 15, 2021
- Can travel occasionally and work some weekends and evening events throughout the year both in Colorado on the ranch and potentially elsewhere throughout the year
- Must be 21+, safe driving record, and ability to pass clean criminal background check
Compensation and Benefits:
- Flexible work hours during the year and work-from-home option
- Salary: Ramah in the Rockies has a sliding scale for Director salaries of $60,000 to $80,000 based on credentials, experience and service within the organization
- Benefits: Ramah in the Rockies has a carefully detailed benefits structure including health insurance premium reimbursement, retirement match plan, parental leave, technology allowance, and education stipend. More specific details can be provided here.
- Participation in National Ramah Commission Assistant Director Cohort
- Paid time off (vacation, sick days and Jewish holiday)
To Apply: Please send resume, professional writing sample (Blog post, article, or similar), and cover letter to Rabbi Eliav Bock: email@example.com. Please explain why you are interested in the position, and why you would be the best candidate for the position.
About Ramah in the Rockies
The Mission of Ramah in the Rockies is to nurture the character development of Jewish youth by providing them the opportunity to challenge themselves physically, intellectually, and spiritually. Ramah in the Rockies is a rustic outdoor adventure organization located 90 minutes from Denver near Deckers, Colorado on a 360 acre ranch. More information about our organization can be found at www.ramahoutdoors.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org