The Development Director will join BaMidbar at an exciting moment of growth and transformation and will play a crucial leadership role as BaMidbar implements its new strategic plan. Over the past six years, BaMidbar has grown from a small startup into a leading national organization in the Jewish mental health sphere, with a $1.3M budget, ten full-time staff by the end of 2023, and a community of thousands of educational and clinical program alumni.
As BaMidbar’s first full-time development professional, the Development Director will work closely with the CEO to engage and grow our community of donors, strengthen our development operations and infrastructure, oversee our grant-seeking efforts, and build toward long-term sustainability. Over the next four years, BaMidbar aims to increase contributed revenue from $1M annually to $2.25M annually. In partnership with the CEO, the Development Director will bring their vision, passion, skills, and leadership to take BaMidbar’s fundraising to the next level and achieve its ambitious goals for growth and impact.
- In partnership with the CEO, create, refine, and execute a bold annual fundraising strategy and calendar inclusive of prospect development, institutional giving, individual giving, planned giving, and digital and grassroots fundraising. Update and refine this plan as needed.
- Serve as a passionate and articulate ambassador for BaMidbar internally and externally
- Foster a culture of philanthropy within the organization and support the team by developing and training the team in effective donor messaging
- Support BaMidbar’s board in fundraising efforts, including:
- Cultivate a culture of philanthropy within the board and train the board on effective donor messaging
- Create and staff a board development committee
- Support identification and recruitment of new board members
- Prepare development reports for the CEO in advance of board meetings
- Generate quarterly stakeholder reports highlighting BaMidbar’s successes and key learnings
- Institutional Giving
- Oversee the development of proposals for compelling funding opportunities, including:
- Write letters of inquiry and grant proposals
- Prepare grant budgets in collaboration with COO and program staff
- Complete reporting requirements
- Lead in strategy, research, prospect management, and cultivation of new foundation relationships
- Steward foundation relationships, engaging foundation staff as critical thought partners, maintaining an attitude of radical transparency, and leveraging relationships to further BaMidbar’s mission, vision, and impact
- Individual Giving
- Develop BaMidbar’s nascent individual giving strategy, building an annual fundraising plan to target program alumni, engaged community members, and prospective major donors
- Develop appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies, including stewardship touchpoints, appeal and renewal messaging, email newsletters, direct mail campaigns, stakeholder updates, etc.
- Work closely with and provide support to CEO on soliciting major gifts and manage a personal portfolio of prospective major donors, maintaining donor relationships and deepening alliances through regular, relevant communications and stewardship
- Create meaningful and consistent opportunities for donor and volunteer recognition and appreciation and communicate the impact donors make on program participants and broader community
- Development Infrastructure
- Oversee BaMidbar’s Salesforce software, ensuring database functionality and proper use across the organization
- With support from the Communications & Admin Coordinator, ensure all donations are tracked and acknowledged in a timely manner and in compliance with all reporting needs
- Track, analyze, and project contributed revenue on an ongoing basis
- Supervise BaMidbar’s Communications & Admin Coordinator. In the next 12-18 months, this position will also oversee hiring and supervision of BaMidbar’s first Communications Director
- Until the hiring of a Communications Director, work with external communications consultants and the Communications & Admin Coordinator to support communications strategy and content development that enhances BaMidbar’s visibility, establishes BaMidbaras a mental health leader in the Jewish community, and increases community, participant, alumni, and donor engagement
- Deeply passionate about BaMidbar’s mission and vision and feel a personal affinity to our work
- Someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, who loves creatively solving problems and navigating obstacles
- A flexible and adaptable individual who is excited to work in a rapidly growing organization
- A hands-on team player who brings enthusiasm, a sense of humor, openness, and a strong work ethic
- Someone who thrives in a position with a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- An authentic storyteller and intentional communicator – someone who is able to illustrate BaMidbar’s vision and bring others along on the journey through your words
- Ruthlessly organized with the ability to bring a detail-oriented approach to project management and big picture strategy
NEED TO HAVE’S
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated success in grant writing and major gift solicitation, with proven ability to secure five and six figure gifts
- Ability to gather and analyze data and provide sound strategic recommendations based on data
- Highly proficient with CRM’s and/or donor databases
NICE TO HAVE’S
- 7+ years of development experience
- Familiarity with Jewish organizations and fundraising in the Jewish nonprofit sector strongly preferred
- Familiarity with experiential education / outdoor education programs, and therapeutic programs
BaMidbar is an equal opportunity employer, and we strongly encourage people with diverse backgrounds and identities to apply. Frequently cited statistics show that structurally marginalized groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We encourage you to break that statistic.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Position Type: Full-time, Exempt
- Salary: $90,000-$105,000 for candidates with 5+ years of demonstrated success securing five and six figure gifts from institutional and individual donors. If you have significantly more experience, let’s talk.
- Benefits: BaMidbar has a generous benefits package including 100% health, dental, vision, short-term disability, and life insurance coverage for employees, a 200 monthly contribution for dependent’s health insurance, 403b retirement plan with employer match, flexible schedule, unlimited time off, generous paid parental leave, remote work stipend, professional development stipend, and more.
- You can learn more about our benefits here.
- Reports To: CEO, Jory Hanselman Mayschak
- Location: Remote, location flexible
- Travel: Occasional travel, evening, and weekend work required.
Please use this form to submit a resume, one-page cover letter, and two writing samples.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
This position will be open until it is filled. We recommend submitting applications no later than January 8, 2023. We will acknowledge receipt of your application within three business days. Due to an expected high volume of applications, we will not be accepting phone calls about this role. After initial acknowledgement of receipt of application, we will only be in touch with candidates who move to the first round of interviews. We honor and respect the time that all candidates put into the hiring process!
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Candidates who advance to the first round of interviews will meet with BaMidbar’s CEO and Director of Programs and Partnerships via Zoom. First round interviews will take place in early January.
Candidates who advance to the second round of interviews will complete a skills-based job simulation assignment.
After completing the job simulation assignments, candidates will have second interviews with members of our full-time team. Interviews will take place in the second half of January. References will be checked before the interview. Offers will be made shortly thereafter.
We hope the selected candidate will begin in February or March.
BaMidbar envisions a Jewish community that actively supports its members in cultivating mental health and wellness. Our mission is to ensure that Jewish youth and young adults have the confidence, skills, and community support to navigate life’s challenges and thrive in the face of adversity. BaMidbar strengthens young people’s mental health through clinical and educational interventions.
BaMidbar focuses both on the individual young person and the ecosystem that surrounds them, including family and caregivers, school, peers, and Jewish professionals in settings such as camps, youth groups, Hillels, day schools, and synagogues. BaMidbar integrates a multidisciplinary lens that includes experiential learning, clinically-informed frameworks, and Jewish tradition.
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.