Who We Are
USY’s mission is to empower Jewish youth to develop friendships, leadership skills, a sense of belonging to the Jewish people, a deep engagement with and love for Israel, and a commitment to inspire Jewish living through meaningful and fun experiences based on the ideology of Conservative Judaism.
What You’ll Do
This position supports all USY activities and mission through direct kehilla (synagogue) engagement under the direction of the Regional Teen Engagement Director of Far West USY, which includes Arizona, Hawaii, Las Vegas, New Mexico, Southern California, and Utah.
The Assistant Director is part of a team of regional staff (Field Engagement Associates and Teen Engagement Interns) who together, under the direction of the Regional Teen Engagement Director, bring focus, energy, and relationship building to our USY/Kadima youth at the local level. The individual in this position partners with kehilla youth staff, where they exist, to enable local chapters to operate effectively and increase participation of kehillot youth in USY/Kadima programs. The USY/Kadima Assistant Regional Teen Engagement Director implements plans that support the day to day operations of USY and Kadima activities within the Region, consistent with USY goals, as well as actively promoting participation in USY/Kadima summer travel programs.
The position reports to the Far West Regional Teen Engagement Director, and partners with:
● Kehilla Relationship Manager (KRM) supporting the Region
● Youth Commission Chair(s) for the Region/District
● Executive Committee of Pacific Southwest Region
● Support Teams at International Office
● USY Teen Leadership (Regional and Chapter)
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of this position include, but are not limited, to the following:
Be a “face” of USY/Kadima and support USY/Kadima in the assigned Region:
● Represent USY mission and goals, USCJ, and Conservative Movement within the Region
● Represent USY/Kadima to the youth staff (where they exist) at the kehilla
● Develop kehilla youth staff professional skills using standard learning materials developed at USY International Headquarters; provide ongoing coaching and mentoring
● Promote USY/Kadima membership and USY/Kadima growth
● Support collection of Tikun Olam money on Region and Chapter level
● Facilitate teen transition from Kadima through USY membership with specific plans to maximize teen retention
● Promote all aspects of Regional youth programming, with special attention to Jewish identity, learning, and skill development
● Promote and recruit for USCJ youth programs, including USY Israel Pilgrimage, USY on Wheels, Nativ, etc.
● Support Regional USY/Kadima officers, and committees, to ensure effective Region functioning
● Support Region’s participation in USCJ’s International Convention
● Provide a safe environment for all participants of Regional USY/Kadima programs
● Assist in upkeep of the regional online registration system
● Troubleshoot and serve as helpdesk to kehillot for online registration system
● Follow-up with families of participants to ensure completed registration
● Work with chapter staff to ensure accurate membership registration
● Keep regional contact lists up to date
● Collect and process payments
Support USY Chapters:
● Communicate regularly and effectively with lay and professional youth leadership of affiliated kehillot
● Implement a consistent and inclusive approach to the engagement of new USY/Kadima members
● Ensure effective and efficient administration of Regional youth programs
● Work together with other arms of the Conservative Movement that have a presence in the Region
● Empower and support teen leadership in planning and execution of conventions and other Regional activities and initiatives
● Develop leadership skills of teens within the Region; provide ongoing coaching and mentoring; leverage learning materials developed at the International Office to promote consistent skill development among teens
● Ensure delivery of Jewish learning and ritual at Regional events is consistent with USY/Kadima policy
● Support ways to engage teens in Jewish learning
● Implement USY learning curriculum at the Region and Chapter levels
● Monitor Regional teen programs and activities so they comply with USY/Kadima standards
What You’ll Need
· Strong leadership and organization skills
· People management skills
· Coaching skills
· Program planning and implementation
· Relationship building
· Conflict management
· Communications and writing skills
· Facilitation skills
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Uphold and have an understanding of the positions, policies, and services of United Synagogue’s youth programs and the Conservative Movement
· Experience working with teens
· Knowledge of Conservative Judaism practices
· Knowledge of Jewish tradition, demonstrated commitment to Conservative Jewish living and be an observant Conservative Jew
· A regular attendee of a Conservative Movement kehilla
· Minimum – degree from four year college or university
· Commitment to personal growth and ongoing education
Preferred Education and Experience
· 1 to 3 years of experience working in related fields
· Experience in leading youth groups and programs in a non-profit organization or equivalent
· Training in a field that will enhance director’s ability to be a greater service to youth and youth programs
· Combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
This position operates from the Far West USY office located in Encino, CA.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time position, exempt from overtime, which will require some extended hours due to evening and weekend events.
Must be able to travel on regular basis to Region and Chapter events. This includes evening and weekend responsibilities. Travel to International Convention and occasional travel to USCJ staff meetings.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Must have authorization to work in the U.S.
Valid driver’s license
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change from time to time.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org