Michigan State Hillel
Join us at the Lester and Jewell Morris Hillel Jewish Student Center at Michigan State University and the Hillel Campus Alliance of Michigan as the Senior Jewish Educator to help enrich the lives of students and shape the future of Jewish life on campus. As an authentic Jewish teacher, you will provide leadership for the Hillel community through grassroots community organizing, spiritual connection, and community engagement. As the Senior Jewish Educator,you will develop and maintain relationships with students less engaged with Jewish life and will increase the level of involvement and commitment of students in all aspects of Jewish life on campus. Embrace your magnetic personality to inspire students to make Judaism integral to their life choices and expressed Jewish values. Make a difference in the lives of students across the state by serving 11 campuses through innovative programming, one-on-one engagement and unique educational opportunities that will be crafted by you. Get excited to use your own individual strengths, ideas and experiences to develop dynamic Jewish life throughout Michigan.
What Youll Do
• Find creative ideas and solutions to infuse current programming with Jewish contentand help those ideas come to fruition.
• Build relationships with students from diverse backgrounds through meaningful conversations and by creating connections to opportunities to participate in Jewish life on campus. A significant portion of these students should be previously uninvolved in Jewish life.
• Mentor student interns and volunteers as they contribute to Hillel and the campus community.
• Develop and support vibrant Jewish experiences, one-on-one or small group learning, and educational programs, including immersive trips, as students find relevant. Pilot creative, new educational approaches and initiatives on campus.
• Collaborate with other Hillel senior level staff to shape and develop the educational vision of MSU Hillel and the Hillel Campus Alliance of Michigan.
• Organize and lead High Holiday services, holiday programming and Passover seders.
• Empower students to take ownership over their own Jewish communities, creating a community of dynamic leaders.
• Develop and nurture relationships with University student life, religious life staff, and the local Jewish community.
On a day to day basis you will
• Have one-on-one coffee dates with students of varying backgrounds to help further connect them with Jewish life on campus or to provide pastoral care as needed.
• Meet with student interns to plan upcoming programs and offer support and guidance.
• Prepare and teach an upcoming learning session for the Jewish Learning Fellowship.
• Train student leaders interested in learning to lead Shabbat services and rituals as well as prepare to lead a special camp themed Shabbat service.
• Work closely with colleagues to plan the Hillel Campus Alliance of Michigan Jewish Learning Retreat, an experiential, conversational learning opportunity for students looking to deepen their understanding of Judaism on their own terms.
What Youve Accomplished
• Rabbinic ordination
• Experience in community organizing, Hillel, youth movements, camping, or experiential Jewish education is a plus.
• A love for music and experience in song-leading or guitar playing also a plus.
• Proven success in community building and outreach, and previous experience in program visioning and implementation.
• Training and experience in pastoral care is desirable.
What Youll Bring to the Job
• A strong knowledge base of Jewish content, ranging from traditional Jewish texts to contemporary Jewish wisdom, culture and unconventional Jewish sources.
• Expertise in leading complex conversations about Judaism in a way that is approachable and meets students at various points in their personal Jewish journeys.
• A commitment to creating an inclusive, vibrant and pluralistic Jewish community.
• A strong entrepreneurial spirit. Things may not always go according to plan, but you must be willing to take risks and learn from your wins as well as your losses.
• Confidence initiating and running programs, and comfort asking questions.
• Creative problem-solving, proactive communication, and collaboration.
• Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel.
• Possess social media savvy and ability to utilize online technology as a means to bring education to all corners to our eleven campuses.
• Work well independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment where prioritizing, multi-tasking, organization and attention to detail are essential.
What Youll Receive
• Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace commensurate with experience.
• A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan,Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
• Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
• Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel.
About MSU Hillel / Hillel Campus Alliance of Michigan
MSU Hillel (msuhillel.org) is the place to be for more than 3,500 Jewish students at Michigan State University. Our Hillel focuses strongly on a student-driven experience where staff work collaboratively with leaders to plan and implement more than 250 programs and initiatives throughout the academic year. Our Hillel truly feels like a home away from home and our community is tight-knit, welcoming and very midwestern (aka friendly aka #puremichigan). East Lansing is a beautiful college town located just minutes from our State Capitol. Enjoy all four seasons, a trip to the Cider Mill, the best in Big Ten athletics and an emerging Lansing food scene.
The Hillel Campus Alliance of Michigan (h-cam.net) is a coalition of campus Hillels located throughout Michigan. HCAM serves four core campuses: Central Michigan University, Eastern Michigan University, Grand Valley State University, and Western Michigan University. Hillel staff meet with student leaders to determine their vision for Jewish life on campus and work closely with those leaders to make their vision a reality. Core campuses receive funding, staff supervision, and leadership development opportunities. Hillel staff travel regularly to core campuses to participate in programs, meet with leaders, and engage new and involved students. Affiliate campuses include Alma College, Albion College, Kalamazoo College, Michigan Technological University, Northern Michigan University, and Saginaw Valley State University. Affiliate campuses receive funding and student leadership development similar to core campuses, and supervision is provided when a group of students commit to taking ownership over their respective campus Hillel.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
MSU Hillel/HCAM is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.Hillel.org/Jobs and include your resume and cover letter.
New Applicants: Select Apply for this Position to submit your application and create an account.
Previous Applicants: Scroll to the Previous Applicants section. Please input your e-mail address and password to login, and select Add to My Jobs to login and submit your application.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/f65wzgtdfgxdtx5c
To apply for this job please visit www.Click2Apply.net.