Website Congregation Or Tzion
Congregation Or Tzion (COT), an egalitarian, multigenerational, participatory, family-friendly community in North Scottsdale, is seeking a Director of Lifelong Learning and Engagement. COT, affiliated with United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism (USCJ), is a spiritual home providing access to relevant Jewish experiences, through relationships, learning and meaningful prayer opportunities.
The Director of Lifelong Learning and Engagement will be a strategic partner with the clergy, staff and volunteer leadership to ensure that the congregation’s principles, mission and values are incorporated in all aspects of the educational programs. Successful candidates must demonstrate comprehensive experience and understanding of all aspects of religious school management together with the working knowledge of Jewish religious, educational and cultural issues.
This individual will have responsibility, with key stakeholders and COT staff, for:
- Building upon and managing a strong religious school program;
- Developing a broad integrated vision for educational programming for all age levels of the synagogue community; and
- Providing support and collaboration with the Senior Rabbi and Cantor.
This position reports to the Senior Rabbi and is a member of the senior staff. The Director has the following major responsibilities in collaboration and partnership with the clergy, staff and lay leadership:
Roz Goodell Religious School:
- Build upon a caring, nurturing environment in which students explore and participate in activities that help them build a Jewish identity and direct them on a path to be a participating member of the Jewish community;
- Hire, supervise, train, and regularly assess and evaluate teachers and support staff;
- Conduct ongoing review, evaluation and development of curriculum;
- Facilitate the school’s Shabbat programming;
- Design grade appropriate educational and experiential opportunities, including technology integration;
- Develop and present an annual school budget to the COT Education Committee and COT Board of Directors, and provide oversight and management of this budget;
- Help to ensure students are prepared for bar and bat mitzvah;
- Provide opportunities for our youth to remain engaged beyond their B’nai Mitzvah.
Family and Adult Learning
- Create and lead family and youth High Holiday services and programs;
- Develop family and adult educational programming;
- Develop programming for pre-school age children.
- Promote effective and active thriving youth groups in collaboration with Youth Director and Advisors.
- Communicate regularly with and build relationships with various stakeholders including clergy and professional and support staff, board of directors, volunteers, community, parents and children;
- Promote synagogue and school growth and retention through outreach to unaffiliated Jews and by developing connections with Jewish schools and agencies in our community.
- Support the Senior Rabbi when needed (including coverage when other clergy are away). Examples: D’vrei Torah, leading alternative services, life-cycle events, and reading Torah/Haftarah.
- Develop a strategic plan with measurable goals on an annual basis.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Rabbinic ordination preferred;
- Master’s Degree in rabbinics, Jewish education, education, or related field;
- Religious school teaching and relevant management, supervisory and administrative experience;
- Experience with child development, adolescent development, trends in Jewish education, classroom management, and curriculum design;
- Demonstrate knowledge, understanding and commitment to Conservative Judaism practices, values, and priorities;
- Dynamic relationship builder – personable, outgoing and have strong communication skills to work with congregants, parents, faculty, and staff as well as prospective members;
- Experience in recruitment and community engagement;
- Experience utilizing social media and technology effectively.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: Lifelonglearning@congregationortzion.org;
To apply for this job email your details to Lifelonglearning@congregationortzion.org